Dear Parents & Caregivers,
I hope your time with your kids is going well. The teachers are setting up and communicating with you with ClassDojo. If that has not happened, your teacher may be on leave. Some of you have asked about ‘Compy’. He is our puppet that is used in class to teach our key strategies. He teaches the kids about Whole Body Listening and other ideas. He helps monitor what the kids are doing. We have some story books explaining these strategies, the teachers will send you the link through ClassDojo for ‘Compy Learns to Listen’.
Thank you to those parents who have let me know about your need for your child to be at school for next term. This is helping us make plans for location and management of your child’s program. We are also working on some guidelines that you can use as you set up home learning (for those at home). Hopefully this will be sent to you this week. We still want the kids to feel part of their class, no matter where they are.
For pre-primaries and year 1 students we use a program called Sounds-Write. They have parent friendly video training that you might find useful They are around 90 minutes long, but if you get fed up with Netflix you might like to access the sites. The first link is all the pre-primary parents need to watch, the second is only appropriate for year 1 parents.
What is covered:
- help your child take their first steps in reading and spelling;
- understand how to help your child build, write and read simple cvc (consonant, vowel, consonant) words;
- understand how to correct your child when they make a mistake in their reading or writing simple words;
- have a basic understanding of how phonics works.
What is covered:
- understand how to help your child build, write and read simple 3, 4, 5, and 6 sound words;
- understand how to correct your child when they make a mistake in their reading or writing of these words;
- further develop your understanding of how the English alphabet code works, reinforcing the idea that sounds can be spelled with one or two letters;
- further enhance the skills of segmenting, blending and phoneme manipulation to mastery level in the context of words containing consonant clusters;
- develop new code knowledge (<sh>, <ch>, <th>, <ck>, <ng>, <wh>, and <q> and <u>)
Some may be struggling with the roller coaster ride we are on. Ngala is offering free online1:1 support. See the link below.
We really appreciate the support that we have had from all of you. We have an amazing staff and parent community who are pulling together at this time.
Please find attached a copy of the letter. parent letter 7 April